Our firm regularly represents private property owners on matters relating to condemnation and the power of the government to “take” private property through the eminent domain process. Our lawyers have litigated eminent domain matters involving public authorities at the municipal, county, state, and federal levels, throughout Ohio and in other states, on behalf of businesses, developers and individual landowners.
We have significant experience litigating crucial eminent domain concepts for successful settlements or trials, such as:
- Public purpose
- Public necessity
- Concept of the larger parcel
- Elements of compensable damage to the remainder
- Highest and best use of property
- Current and future zoning and land use trends
- Compensation for internal circuity of travel, including parking loss
- Use of various permissible appraisal methods to enhance value
- Compensation for business interruption, diminution in business, loss of parking and underground minerals
- Remedies when an appropriating authority abandons a case
- Access issues
- Inverse condemnation
- Use of expert engineers and consultants to enhance value
Follow the links on the left side of this page to read case studies about our eminent domain work.